Thursday, October 6, 2011

TYPHOON, woot! Derick, calm down, everyone's ok! Sheeeeesh :D


Dear FAMMMIIIILLYYY: (imagine my voice blowing in the wind...)

There is a Typhoon warning signal today! Level 8 = we aren't allowed to go outside.
  • There's typhoon 1, which is basically like that alert at the airport--ALWAYS on that basically means it's just raining,
  • Typhoon 3 (no one can tell me WHY it jumps from 1 to 3 and then 3 to 8, I have asked EVERYONE) which means there's a pretty daaih fung (big wind) out so hold onto your skirt and your umbrella, and then there is
  • Typhoon 8 which means don't go outside and shut your windows and no train or bus service etc. So, we fixed a 4-sisters meal, and studied; it was so adorable.

Yup, but since the library's closed and they just put down 8 and put up 3, we've moved outside and are now emailing in a video game shop and it's honestly really hard to concentrate.

Picture trying to write an email in a war zone...

I was sick this week from Monday forward so that was a little hard. It's only a cold, though so I'm fine. :D

I organized a WAY FUN scripture class last Saturday night. We played a mix between scripture chase, the tree of life and bobbing for apples---we hung apples (on their own strings) from a loooong string stretching across the room, and everyone tried to bite their own apple (and if you found the scripture fastest, you got a little angelic aid from Sister Darcey who held the apple for you while you bit).

It was basically the most hilarious thing ever... 15 or so people getting bonked in the face with an apple about a hundred times and laughing till they cried... Apple ALL OVER our faces... oh man. It was fun.


I also made the map of the Book of Mormon on the ground in the RS room with masking tape and gave everyone a role and a scripture (exodus king Mosiah 1, Zealous Zeniff, Puppet King Limhi, etc) and we ACTED OUT Omni-Alma 7. It was so awesome.

We had a beautiful lesson with the Ng family (their son's on a mission in NY but they're not members) on Tuesday night. The Mak family came along with us--Bishop Mak (the ex-gangster) and his wife, the ones who invite the world to their FHE party every single Monday night--and they were just amazing. I was re-astonished at the amount of love I feel every time Bishop Mak enters the room.

I think they were especially sensitive to the spirit and the missionaries because that day their son, who's now in California on his mission, was going in for a surgery on his back (we've all--the whole ward--been praying for him to get better for weeks). Bishop Mak bore such amazing and sure witness that even this trial will humble and strengthen and refine his little son, that even though it seems like he is NOT being rewarded for doing the Lord's work he knows the Lord loves their family. SO much assurance and love and Wow.

Sister C. and I shared our favorite BOM scriptures, Ether 12:27
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

and Alma 37:6
Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

These scriptures related beautifully to what we had all shared that evening about small, weak missionaries accomplishing mighty things for God. As we left, Brother Ng followed us into the hallway and thanked us again and again.

Out of tim

[the email ended abruptly which means that either Sister Darcey was blown away by the typhoon or as she so eloquently put it in a previous email...

I'm reminded of Strong Bad, when HIS email cut off mid-sentence and he concluded that the person had dropped dead in the middle. Tee hee).

[So For Sister Darcey, I sign off]

Love, Sister Darcey

1 comment:

  1. love this blog! also, love strong bad. Try Burninating the countryside with the gospel!

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment, large or small and Mom will email it to me in next weeks mail. Hugs, Sister Dia