Friday, January 27, 2012

New Years and Rice Balls



Dear Family

I'm so glad you got to see Sis. L's facebook photos of us at her New Years Dinner. China is pretty crazy about New Years!

Yup, Sister L is HILARIOUS and a firecracker. Kinda scary, actually,
but in a good way. And she commanded we come over for new years. --yeech chinglishh-- SO funny. She has a missionary in DC right now (she reminds me alot of beautiful Sister Ramsey, actually...) and firmly believes that what goes around comes around--if she takes care of us, her baby boy in DC will be taken care of, too HAAA ;D

My new companion, Sister C and I are doing great and seeing miracles every day. She is probably the best thing the Lord could have given me because she is so funny and strong in the gospel. She supports me and keeps me grounded and reminds me anew of the purpose of the work. This week was so weird since it was NEW YEARS and everyone works so hard and prepares so long to usher in the new year. The decorations are crazy! And there are so many superstitions surrounding it.

[Aidan's part of the email:
  1. No working on the holiday. Whatever you are doing on that day will be what you do the rest of the year and no one wants to get stuck cooking or cleaning.
  2. No cutting anything with knives or you will cut your good fortune so fish (carp) and noodles are cooked long and whole.
  3. Clean all week, sweeping away bad luck and no sweeping on New Years--can't sweep away good luck.
That's the end of Aidan's Chinese New Year presentation--"And I didn't get a D, Mom"] Back to Dia's letter:

So we did deep cleaning and went to Big Buddha. And Pres C. came up to me at Big Buddha Tuesday
(he really is so, so aware and worried about me) and shook my hand for like 10 minutes asking if I was OK.
AND Dr. H. called on Friday and had me do a hair pull test (what a waste of 12 hairs! SO funny) and talked about other stuff. He also asked in kind of a tired voice if, honestly, my mom was more worried about this than I was. I said... "Um, No, I like having hair. It's actually pretty worrisome. (I think he's very used to dealing with freaked-out
mothers).

So we're getting things worked out, no worries!!! ANd President C--probably don't need to email them again anytime soon because now pretty much the entire mission is freaking out about me... it's kinda funny and sad at the same time, not to mention embarrassing, but mostly just funny :D And I'll get through.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to chop my hair? Honestly it's starting to look kinda odd, not because of any bald spots but because it's just really wispy and thin. It I cut if short/bobbed it might hide the fact it's so thin and I'd probably touch it less... I am thankful for everyone of my family's encouragements about loving me and not just my hair. It's so much a part of my identity--especially here, where for the past ten months I've heard at least one comment about it every single day--and I know the dangers of pride--I'm working on it!

I love you all, no worries and I'm working on remembering the joy in the work--
Sister D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment, large or small and Mom will email it to me in next weeks mail. Hugs, Sister Dia