Friday, November 4, 2011

Best Hallows Eve in Hong Kong


Dearest Family and Friends,

So this week for Halloween we fasted for C., a sweet young girl whose parental faaan deui has now kept her from getting baptized for the FOURTH time. Sister Chan was so adorable when I suggested doing a fast during weekly planning on Sunday--she says, "Oooo, but tomorrow is cha siu faan day..."

She continues, "Wait, cha siu or C? I pick C! Tin Fuh better know what a big sacrifice this is!!"

She's SO adorable--so intent and sincere and whole hearted and hilarious. Fasting brought so much peace. I've been having way more nhaat lihk (pressure) than usual as the senior companion responsibilities become more and more manifest... and I keep running up against my own selfishness, pride, laziness and faithlessness. Fasting really does bring peace.

We also got to visit C2 on Monday--wow. C2's daughter is 6, and C looks about 25 but she's 37. Her sister A was into hard drugs for years and finally one day was on her knees praying when the missionaries knocked on her door.


C2 has been smoking since she was 15, yet we helped her quit smoking this week! There's a plan that missionaries use that involves cold turkey and changing your enviornment (mouthwash, unsweetened grapefruit juice, deep breathing, vitamin C tablets after meals and reading out loud your "declaration of independence" are several elements) so we taught it to her on Wednesday. She said, "I feel like your little lab mouse." ha ha. She's amazing. It takes about an hour and a half to get to her house, so we've been spending a LOT of time "on" her--Mon, Tues and Wed we went to teach--which is creating some ngaat lihk but is necessary and good, too. We taught her an "emergency procedure" for smoking that consisted of deep breathing and prayer.

Hey, It Works! I've been using it myself and I haven't felt like a cigarette even once!

these things are glow in the dark
No, seriously, when I can sense myself getting especially stressed out, prideful, selfish, etc... these techniques really help. It really is amazing what the Lord is willing to work with to share this gospel. He gives us--even ME?!--such an amazing opportunity to work at his side both pruning and nurturing in his vineyard.

I got a HAUL of mail yesterday--the last months worth!--and two packages (one INFINITELY cooler than the other, ha ha. Thanks thanks mom I was almost out of cards! Chinese people love them! and what on earth am I going to do with silver eyelashes (take pictures that was easy)).

I've loved reading and re-reading Mark...Mr. Sabey... um, Brian's dad's interpretation of the tree of life vision. My favorite aspect is that Jesus returns us back from the great and spacious building to the tree, sanctifying us on the way so we can fully accept and enjoy the light of his love!


Something Brian said in one letter has really hit me--that the first 8 months or so of his mission he was driven by a keen sense of duty and very little love. I'm a front seat testifyer (english... don't mind my english...) of this truth--when I am driven by duty instead of love, I am living my most miserable (like last night...).

So how does that change? Immersing myself in loving others... the word of God... and really, cutting away my selfish parts--that A-type personality drive for praise and success and looking higher for a sense of fulfillment. Trust Him, His promises and my covenants.

I love my family, ward family, and world family forever! I'm praying for you. Don't stop praying for me! And thank God for this gospel and the truth that sets us free... Love !!! Sister Darcey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment, large or small and Mom will email it to me in next weeks mail. Hugs, Sister Dia