Monday, August 1, 2011

"My Little Baby's Goin' Off To Save People!" MUSHU



Dear Each and Every One!

BIG NEWS! BIG meaning TERRIFYING! We found out on Tuesday night that Sister Black is moving to Macau, English speaking and I'm staying here in my area---but that our apartment would move from Mong Kok to Tai Po! AND I would get (got) a BUN DEIH (read like boon day) companion! = NATIVE!!

Yeah, so basically I have the responsibility of all the knowledge of the area and I've just been forcibly removed from my mommy (seriously, I was basically swimming after the boat headed to Macau; They had to drag me back onto the dock).

AND Sister J, is my new companion...

who doesn't speak English.

WOOT! And by woot, I mean WHIMPER OF FEAR! I'm trying to adjust/survive.

{this photo is of Sisters D & B's last day.}

Sister J is a only-one-in-her-family convert of about 8 years. She is super traditional Chinese in her food, exercise and how-hard-things-are ideas--but she is really, REALLY awesome and a hard worker (from what I can tell from the past twenty four hours or so). She's also seems really serious. She's never been senior comp before and she actually started her mission in February, too (but only had to spend 3 weeks in the PHILLIPINES MTC since she already speaks Chinese). I really like her. I also really miss English.

The biggest worry for me is I hadn't even really figured out missionary work in ENGLISH. Since maybe the most important part of missionary work is working to become one with your companion, now I have to learn how to do everything in Chinese... and I'm not even comfortable enough in Chinese to really even have a personality yet. I feel like my missionary identity was really tied with Sister Black--where I'd even think in terms of "we" instead of "I"--and it will definitely be a challenge to learn how to be an independent missionary.
Interesting Spiritual Side Note:

Also, I noticed this week--as other missionaries, leaders, etc noticed that I was kinda freaking out--that most things we rely on to buoy ourselves up are based somehow on compliments--ergo, PRIDE. Phrases like, "President Chan wouldn't put you there unless he thought you could do it."

or "God must trust you a lot!"

These phrases seem hollow to me. I think that up 'til now, I have been missing the point of weaknesses and challenges. Challenges aren't put before us to test how much we are capable of. Instead I think they are put before us to teach us to trust Him, to learn how much HE is capable of. His strength is shown in my weakness and incapacities, and I'm here because HE can do it. God put me here because he wants me to learn how much He can help me, so I will try, try, try to trust Him and keep praying and keep smiling and keep trying to help these people progress to Him!

And missionary work really is the most awesome thing in the world! Can I just say, no one has ever felt this cool (HOT!) wearing a cardigan.

I ate a pig ear's this week (not a big deal, basically tasted like really chewy piece of ....ok, I actually can't describe it. It kinda reminded me of plastic, actually).

Yesterday as we (me, Sister J and our new summer missionary VASHTI! Yay!) were taking our luggage up to our new apartment (it's so big and so beautiful!), the white man walking in front of us kept looking back. Eventually he turned on his heel and came back to set us straight. He said something like he wanted to "let you all (the two chinese girls) know that this church says they're Christian and true but it isn't and I just want you to know that..."

We didn't say anything; we didn't have to, because suddenly he looked down and then he realized that we were ALL wearing a black nametag, not just the blonde girl.

Well, whatever, after he caught a glimpse of their nametags he turned tail again...

Ah, sad. I couldn't help but giggle a little at the irony of the situation when we got into the elevator and I translated--
from English to Cantonese-- what he had said to those whom he perceived as poor, helpless, Chinese victims--my stalwart senior companion and our summer missionary. These are both women who have endured much more trying opposition to their faith than I have today from a random, ill-informed white guy.

Later in the day, we also experienced a random miracle (it's the spiritual law of opposition--and it always works). I was chatting with a lady from the mainland with a very thick accent on the train and I had explained the restoration with a pamphlet and I told her how it had blessed my life and my family. When she got off the train with pamphlet in hand, another native lady, who'd been watching and listening the whole time, contacted ME! (that doesn't happen very often!) She actually ASKED if she could have a pamphlet and our telephone number because her kids had started in a Christian school and she really wanted them to know what it was that the school believed. She spoke perfect English. She'd heard me, I guess, talk about why there were so many Christian churches and that we wanted to give people the opportunity to learn why. I hope she was touched by the Spirit when I testified about the blessings that come from following God's plan for our happiness, the gospel. It was a pretty neat and very quick experience. Her name is Yan, if you want to pray that God's spirit will touch her! :)

We didn't get to email yesterday because of the apartment move (so crazy!). Sorry you had to wait until today! I love you all!

Sister DIA Darcey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment, large or small and Mom will email it to me in next weeks mail. Hugs, Sister Dia