Monday, August 15, 2011

A "fei jai" is... any male between 13 and 30 who yells, "LEIH HOU LENG LEUIH!" when you walk by... (YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!)


I figured out why everyone always asks if I'm married---ring on right OR left ring finger means married. Oops...

Dad! The photo at the end is to prove to you that BYU Cougars ROCK--even in China.

On the MTR we see bikers all the time--in complete decked out Spandex, helmet, cleats and FOLDED UP BIKE! It's so cool--the front wheel folds in somehow and makes the cutest little bike package that they just wheel around the
train station. Everytime I see them I think of you! There is also a HK marathon--not sure how, since honestly , as a whole, Chinese people don't run very well whosaidthat?! and I'm pretty sure for most of them the only running they ever do is from the top of the escalator into the train doors (when they're about to close, there's a beeping sound--I think that for the rest of my life, if I hear that same beep, I'll start running--no matter where I am!).

Aunt Shauna should know that her cutest-get-well-card-of-all-time went to the sweetest man on Earth--his sing (last name) is Yuhn, and he and his wife are both converts of 40 or so years. He used to be the bishop of MOS. His wife is the one who has made the missionaries lunch every Sunday for the past 10 years.

Three Sundays (or so) ago, Brother Yuhn went into the hospital because of a heart... rupture...thing (I REALLY don't sic ting MEDICAL jargon in Chinese) and that day, SHE STILL BROUGHT THE MISSSIONARIES FOOD. Ayiya! They are so wonderful, faithfu
l and just... quiet, consistent, service-centered people. I was so happy to giVe Shauna's adorable band-aid card to him--and now he's out of the hospital, YAY!

Ayiyi! Now we will speak again of Sister D's horrible Chinese, I LOATHE the word "keuih" (in mandarin, ta) which means either he OR she.

Yes. You are anticipating the horribly embarrassingness of this story, no? You will not be disappointed! Actually, you prob will be disappointed because I only have 10 more minutes and I want to talk about SOMETHING that actually matters at some point in my life/email. So, long story short, there was a former investigator at church in MOS and someone introduced me (Sister Missionary) to ....her. After gospel principles class, I invited... her... to Relief Society.

And FOUND OUT THAT SHE WAS ACTUALLY A HE! Yikes! It was ...so... bad... In my defense,

A) CHinese makes it very hard to tell gender (keiuh= no clue),

B) The member (male) introduced the person to ME, (AGAIN the Sister Missionary,) not the elders, so I'm naturally gonna think it's a GIRL,

C) A-Ling was her/his name... ok, I actually admit I've been here long enough to know that it is a pretty manly girl name, but REALLY. A-Ling. Yes, does that engender masculinity to YOU? I DIDN'T THINK SO. and

D)...I REALLY THOUGHT HE WAS FEMALE! He looked like a Chinese version of Audrey Hepburn. I'm not kidding. It was definitely the worse case of gender confusion I've ever seen. I didn't even KNOW I was experiencing gender confusion, THAT'S how bad it was...

Ok, I'm over it. I really did save it well--blamed it on my Chinese ("What's that? Oh. OH! Oh, uh, yeah, I meant Elder's quorum... I just mixed up Relief society and elder's quorum, ha ha ha.... silly sister darcey! ha. ha....")

Anyway. I found out this week that my favorite all-time movies are all dak (dak= ok) -- to watch on my mission!
this picture is actually from when I was Sister Black's companion
Emp new groove, robinsons, kung fu panda, lion king?! We can watch them (in chinese and on p-day, of course!) here?! I love this mission. OK, I haven't actually seen any of them yet, but I find it comforting to know that if I ever get a moment's free breathing room--that I COULD if I wanted to.


I don't know if it's just me, but I think having a native companion makes MORE people notice my distinction. It's ...actually a little ridiculous. It would definitely be annoying if my whole entire purpose for being here wasn't to be noticed and if I weren't TRYING to talk with everyone anyway.

We now live further along the blue line, too (which means closer to mainland) so every morning and night when we're riding the train to/from home there are TONS of mainland China people. This is so exciting!!!! So many are looking for religion!

THUS, Sister C. is teaching me some Mandarin (which previous knowledge has degenerated A TON after learning Cantonese) ! I can now say, "I am a missionary. I don't speak Mandarin. I know that Jesus Christ's gospel will bless your family." REALLY slowly. It's so funny how weird Mandarin feels in my mouth now.

Also! We have a great Mandarin investigator named Emma. She's a history major, speaks pretty good English and came to Vicki (the Elder's investigator) 's baptism last Sunday. She's amazing but doesn't want to see the Mandarin missionaries, so we're trying to help her along. I love her so much! pray for her, please!

We had mission tour yesterday; I feel I'm on the cusp. Moving from one section of missionaryness to another--trying to ARISE to a more faithful state. Habit can be such a tool of Satan--moving us into apathy in a work that is so glorious. I have forgotten the last couple weeks (months...?) that this really is a true, real work of God.

Thank you ALL (ward, friends, family!) for your letters. They help me remember and ...wake up! TO the work that is so amazing!

Love, love, love
Sister Dia Darcey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment, large or small and Mom will email it to me in next weeks mail. Hugs, Sister Dia