Thursday, March 22, 2012

Grounded in Truth

Dear All,

We've had miracles and marvelous works here this week... I'm kinda drawing a blank right now, though. Which means maybe I'm supposed to say something specific.

We made ONE simple change--prayerfully asking in nightly planning who we will ask for a referral the next day--and that has shot the work off the ground. Turns out our ward members already trust us, are motivated and are doing their own missionary work--they literally just needed us to ASK them who they wanted us to help them share the gospel with.

We've received 2 great referrals and contacted three others already this week. We'll go meet another one with her member friend today.

Saturday's St Patrick's activity was awesome--including an Irish Jig performance by the missionaries. Hilarious. And my camera isn't uploading anything for some reason...

Made my first pot of congee (jok) yesterday-- 2 quarts of water and 1/2 cup of rice in a big pot, simmered for 2 hours. Easiest thing ever (and tastes like nothing) and good for sour stomachs. Made me wonder why people buy mixes for baby rice porridge, though.

OK, now I think I know what I'm supposed to talk about. "Jesus Christ IS the only Begotten and Beloved Son of God... He is our Savior from sin and death.

This is the most important knowledge on earth, and you can know this for yourself!

The way is desire and obedience. As to desire, Jesus taught, 'Ask, and it shall be given you,' and as to obedience, 'If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God or whether I speak of myself."

Dallin H Oaks' quote from Conference has resonated in my experiences of late. I am building a testimony this way, and I see my investigators building theirs in the same way.

Obedience isn't fooling ourselves or manipulating ourselves into thinking something's true, it's the necessary step and price for real religion and real belief. We have to experience something for ourselves to know if it's true or not--so why do we so often obstinately halt at the threshhold of faith and require PROOF before we take one more step?


Mark Sabey's latest couple of letters--especially a talk he gave, "I'm a Sinner, I'm a Child of God"--seemed like they're written right for Yuen Long, HK.

When I lose faith in myself and despair that I'll "never be good enough for God to bless me", I'm making of myself a false god--one that doesn't run to greet the prodigal son "a long way off" and one who wasn't born in a stable, one who wouldn't ever wash feet. God's grace is abundant and now, more than ever, I've felt and stood in awe at his love for us.

God stands in the filthy rooms of our hearts--he IS the physician, the healer and wants to work with broken, with maimed, with infections and sores and leprosy and hardened hearts. He just asks that we come to him, without money and without price, and obey his gentle commands that will make us whole.

I wish I could explain better and today we're short on time--but I do know and believe that God finds us where we ARE. His grace is so amazing and I know that I'm his child. As a child, I'm loved and he's patient with my slow growth and frequent set backs and even with my pride.


I know God lives and you can, too. I know He has restored His gospel in all of its fullness and made a way for families to be together always.


Love,
Sister Darcey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment, large or small and Mom will email it to me in next weeks mail. Hugs, Sister Dia