Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lessons In Hong Kong

This week's Lessons:

Lesson One: Everyone in HK drinks those little milk boxes Americans only drink in Elementary school--everyone!--adults in business suits, nannies, kids, poh pohs (grandmas). --pronounced pah, pah, Mom.

Lesson Two: Turning on a gas burner in the dark is pretty much the most terrifying thing ever.

On Tuesday, I was so close to Elder Holland (front row--and he came down and used a free mike so he could talk to us closer-) that I'm pretty sure he spit on me. It was AWESOME! He also used my name in the meeting because he used those poor souls in the front rows for object examples. It was so, so cool.

What else? Ahh! Yesterday my first pair of shoes broke (sides ripped). Pretty exciting! These shoes have endured a lot, especially for $15 at Payless. Thank Uncle Gary for me, please! He bought me my very first pair of mission shoes and he didn't even know. Yup!

On Sunday, we had to split--we have two buildings and 3 wards, so on Sundays we try to go everywhere. It was pretty terrifying to explain Sacrament, talk to investigators and meet members all by myself (I had a member help me) but wonderful!

We may go with an investigator to see the dragon boat racing this week!

Today we went to the beach on the island for a multi-zone barbecue! And we made a HUGE sand castle. And looked at the water longingly. And I ate a cheese fish ball. And it was so fun.

Please tell Sister Watts that last Sunday, one of our wards started a ward-building-cleaning program (that took me about 20 minutes into the meeting to figure out... I was seriously like, "OK, they keep talking about cleansing, but I don't think this lesson is about baptism...?") and I remembered our FAMOUSLY fun cleaning activity with the YW/YM. It was fun because of HER--I just love her so much. She really helps people around her feel God's love for them.

Ah, wow. God's love! This week we taught PJiM--the member referral. She is from mainland but speaks perfect Cantonese, and was actually just visiting her sister for a couple days. The first time we visited with her--Monday morning--she told us all about how she believed in baaisahn (worshiping idols) because one of her idols helped her win a lot of money in gambling. Eeeek. The member's husband told her, basically, that no god would work in such ways. It was really hard to understand what she was saying. We just kept bearing testimony and reading scripture, basically. The next visit was totally different--she really wanted to know. We told her about God's plan for our happiness and eternal life--how we can have peace and happiness, how God loves us and wants our happiness just like she wants it for her daughters. She finally broke down and told us about her difficult life--really the worst trials. It was just heartbreaking to teach her as much as we could and give her scriptures and pamphlets--then send her back to mainland, where she can't get baptized. The most special part was her prayer at the end of the lesson, which she did all on her own (the first time, on Monday, I walked her through it). She asked for safety and peace from God, closed in Christ's name and looked up with shining eyes. "Gam souh gam dak bit," = I feel so special.

It was a beautiful experience and I'm so thankful that God includes me in His work. I'm so grateful I get to be here. Thank you, my family, for your prayers and letters and thoughts. I love you! I wish, wish I could write more and share with you the joy I am blessed with here. Every day is such a miracle.

Love, Sister (DIA!) D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment, large or small and Mom will email it to me in next weeks mail. Hugs, Sister Dia