Thursday, May 12, 2011

Calls and Contacts

Dear Friends and Family,

Jodi, the woman who called us to ask when she could come to church, CAME! And we have an appointment with her on Saturday! I've been working on my phone calls (phone calls are hard without body language tohelp you understand the words and usually people speak faster and are more impatient--it's a speedy process where you can say good, bye, bye, at any time, hang up and it isn't rude. I'm going to be so impolite when I get back, due to the H.K. customs.

My language skills are improving. I began with English speakers, then moved up to members and really nice investigators and have been gradually working my way to faster speakers and people who don't necessarily WANT to talk with us.

Last night, I called Wendy, an eighteen year old. Sister Baahk dai Yat first contacted her on the MTR (train) and set up the first appointment. It was so scary. We went home and "changed" (into as little clothing as is decent because the air doesn't come on until 10:30 and did I mention that it's HOT?), but I put my mission tag on and said a prayer with Sister Baahk that Wendy would #1 be understandable, #2 be willing to meet with us, #3, be available Saturday at 1:30 in the afternoon.

I've really been trying to increase in faith--praying for it, working toward that, making plans and goals according to God's will and His way. Praying specifically is a important step, I think, in seeing God's hand in His work and in His care for his children.

So I made the call! and I could understand her! Yes! #1 Check!

She was willing to meet with us! #2 Check!

Oh, but she has hau sih (sounds like housey) -- testing. Oh No! The ultimate mo-do-je (investigator) killer is hau sih. When children are in the middle of it, both they and their families become completely unavailable. School is LIFE here. I just found out today that young children can only attend half a day of school, so their parents will often sign them up for two schools so that these tiny four year olds can test into a good grade school so they can test into a good high school then a good college, into a good profession so they can have nice cars and put their own toddler into eight hours of school.

She said she wouldn't be available until (I was hoping for next week some time,) June 8---Ehhh. Hmmm, what to do???? But Wait!

"Hou-a, bat gwo, yuh gwo leih seung ngoh deih hoyih bong leih yihn duhk yink mahn a..." "If you want, we could help you with your English to prepare for your testing, until you have more time to spare with us?" Free English tutoring? Yes! She was so on it. "Gei sih?" (When?)

Oh, I don't know, how about... Saturday at 1:30? Yes! #3 Check!

Sister Baahk dai Yat calls this "using your talents to further the work." Beautiful. I am so glad that my native language is useful for SOMETHING here.

I love you all, and I'll send pictures sometime soon.

LOVE, Sister Dia Baahk Darcey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment, large or small and Mom will email it to me in next weeks mail. Hugs, Sister Dia